Lesbosshop is the Internet shop specializing in Lesbian olive oil, the olive oils of the island of Lesbos. Lesbos olive oil is famous since antiquity for its quality, taste and distinctive aroma.
Our olive oil provider is LESEL Ltd, the commercial subsidiary of the Union of Agricultural Cooperatives of Lesbos. The Union is the secondary level cooperative (a cooperative whose members are the primary farmer cooperatives) of Lesbos olive oil producers and is one of the major olive oil producers in Greece.
Lesbosshop offers a selection of finest quality Lesbos olive oil in packaging appropriate for postal distribution. More quality products will be added In the future. For wholesale or products that cannot be distributed easily by post please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Olive trees originate from the Mediterranean basin and theircultivation and the extraction of olive oil from the fruithave deep roots into history, counting back thousands of years. Nowadays, olive trees are cultivated in all continents apart from Antarctica and have several different varieties.
It is not clear where and when the cultivation of olive trees first started, but there is a widely held view that it was in Crete. The first surviving olive oil amphorae date back to the Early Minoan times in 3500 BC, but olive production is believed to have taken place before 4000 BC. It is certain though that olive trees were cultivated in the area after 1500 BC at the Late Minoan period and their cultivation was a significant factor for the growth of Crete’s economy.
The myth of olive tree
Greek mythology presents a different viewpoint of the first olive tree. When the city of Athens was still unnamed, Athena and Poseidon competed with each other of who would be the protecting deity of the city. Each one of them offered the citizens a gift and it was up to the Athenians to decide which one they preferred and as a consequence which god would become their protector. Poseidon offered them sea water, but even though this offered them the possibility of trade and the formation of naval power, the water was not drinkable. Athena on her side gave the citizens the first olive tree for cultivation that brought them food, wood and oil. The Athenians chose the olive tree and Athena as the protector of their city.
Other uses of olive oil along history
Apart from an excellent nutritional source, olive oil has been used in history for skin care purposes as well. Ancient Greeks used olive oil during massage to relieve muscles from tiredness or to ease them from sports injuries. In ancient Egypt it was used for skin cleansing, moisturizing and antiseptic purposes.
Olive oil contains antioxidants, such as polyphenols and vitamin E, which help skin renew and repair from everyday hazards such as air pollution and over-exposure to the sun. As a result, nowadays olive oil’s use is continually increasing for cosmetic purposes as a skin moisturizer, eye makeup remover, nail care and hair care.
The high quality of LESEL olive oil products is being assured throughout every step of the procedure.
- · Olives are collected at the appropriate point of their maturation circle according to the kind of produced olive oil.
- · The extraction of olive oil is performed solely by mechanical means.
- · Olive oil is being produced by olives collected by hand, in order to maintain all their special attributes.
- · Continuous sampling inspections take place to maintain products of the highest quality.
- · Cold extraction is being used (<27 °C)
Olive oil not only is an excellent cooking ingredient, but also has several benefits for our health, if used in parallel to a balanced and healthy diet, due tothe fact it contains monounsaturated fats, anti-oxidants and isrich in polyphenols.Several studies have shown that the consumption of olive oil may:
- · Help our cardiovascular system by lowering the levels of “bad” cholesterol (Low Density Lipoprotein / LDL). Lowering LDL can reduce the chances of having a stroke or a heart attack.
- · Increase the likelihood of preventing certain types of cancer such as breast, colorectal and skin cancer.
- · Help our cognitive function. The consumption of highest amount of monounsaturated fats can help decrease cognitive decline that is associated with aging.
- · Prevent oxidative damage. Olive oil is rich in polyphenols, which are components that have antioxidant activity and contribute to the protection of blood lipids from oxidative stress.
- · Help in the prevention of osteoporosis. High consumption of olive oil seems to improve calcium absorption and calcification.
- · Prevent the appearance of type II diabetes by improving blood sugar levels, insulin resistance and blood lipid levels.
- · Help to maintain our skin’s health. Olive oil helps to maintain skin elasticity, fights aging signs and may help in fighting acne and other skin conditions.
Lesvosshop is owned by ARCATECHNO.
Mail Us: email@example.com